Monday, December 20, 2004

The Year That Was

2004.

Where did it go? It feels like nothing of any import happened on a personal front this year. And yet it was an important year. It was a year of little victories and steady progress. Am I in better shape now than this time last year? I don't know. I don't think I am in worse shape.

So that was the first half of the Naughties. Bring on the second half.

Person of The Year 2004: Viktor Yushchenko. A well documented case of poisoning for political purposes hasn't happened in my living memory (78 was the last?). A reminder, like S11 was, that 20 years of relative peace has gone and the machinations that inspired Ian Fleming are alive and well.

Defining Moments of The Year 2004: Results of Aussie and US elections. They didn't go the way I wanted, but kudos to the victors. The Naughties are truly the Decade of Demagogues.

Best Times for Chas 2004: Melbourne Conference and Sunshine Coast working holiday.

2005 Resolutions: Keep living in the present, not the future. Fuck resolutions. These are times to be endured.

1 comment:

TimT said...

My favourite political poisoning was the attempt by the CIA to poison Castro's water source in order to make his beard drop out - this working on the theory that a) beard drops b) Cuban people see his leadership for the sham that it is.

Works for me, but then, I don't think either me or the Cuban folks needed Castro's beard to drop off to know that.