Monday, November 08, 2004

Cities and Reunions

Reading this article on the importance of Global Cities like New York and London has got me thinking. It mentions Sydney as a Global City, the reasoning being that Matrix was filmed here. It also makes the point that New Yorkers see themselves as New Yorkers first, Americans second. Parisians are the same. Yet, I am not sure whether I see myself as a Sydnian (what is the collective noun for someone from Sydney, anyway?) and an Australian second. Of course, I am half French as well, but that would come third anyway. Given the natural interstate rivalries between NSW, Victoria and Queensland, I certainly feel I am NSW before Australian. In fact, when it comes to sport my priorites would be Sydney above NSW above Australia. I have no idea what I am trying to get at here. I suppose it doesn't matter anyway, as there is a good chance that come 2006 I will be Melbournian, or Mexican - the preferred collective noun for those folk.

The 10 year high school reunion went as expected in the end. It was a great piss-up, but completely bereft of enlightenment. My main goal of the night was to be less boring than the average, a goal I only JUST succeeded at despite the level being well above the normal level for a piss up. I suppose it was interesting seeing the defensive behaviour that alot of people seemed to have. Many seemed to have the attitude of "I dare you to even THINK about judging me". I judged no-one and took pains to say as little about myself as possible. I chose mirth as the mood. I think 10 years will be exactly the right amount of time to wait for the next one.

2 comments:

Harry Hutton said...

If there was, like, a war between Australia and Sydney, for whom would you fight? The country you love, or the city you identify with?


Harry Hutton

TimT said...

I think a war between Sydney and Newcastle is much more likely. Death to all Sydnians and their chardonnay-sipping ways!