Friday, October 22, 2004

It ain't fun, anyway.

A violently executed blog has a great post enunciating the problems of clinical depression, especially with the absence of a cause. During some of my deep depressions of the past, I have enountered the "you have nothing to be depressed about, my life is shit, I was abused as a child etc etc" syndrome from other people. I try to explain to them that the lack of cause simply contributes to the depression. I should be happy, my life isn't that bad, but I don't feel I can take it anyway, shit I am depressed is how it goes. I have managed to avoid the "chemical solution", but not for the same reason as the post above (not wanting to impact on the upswing, I hate my upswings), but because I know that in the long run pills do more harm than good.

I have found that being more mindful of my mood shifts enables me to respind to them better. Recognising the ups and downs and knowing the tide will turn eventually makes it easier. It's still hard sometimes, but it's easier.

2 comments:

Link said...

My teacher said to me to alleviate swinging moods; when you're 'down' spend a minute or so remembering what it felt like to be 'up' and so to, when 'up' spend a few minutes remembering how it felt to be 'down'.

BTW Beelzebublog is dead, long live Beelzebublog, (which means?) A transmogrification is taking place.

Chas said...

A wise suggestion, thank you. I have tried such techniques in the past and they certainly work. Except in the rare cases of where I find I WANT to be depressed. A sort of self-destruction mood, that often appears after the more manic phases. I don't like the manic phases, they embarass me and I'll turn to binge drinking to help me get away from them. This behaviour still exists in me, but I try to enjoy the ride.

I had noticed that Beezelbublog was missing, Link. I look forward to the resurrection.