Thursday, October 14, 2004

Please burn my brain

I am sure it is the same in other states of Australia, and probably most of the first world, but here in NSW we are asked whether or not we want to be organ donors when we apply for a drivers' licence. In the case we are killed, we can nominate which parts of our former selves can be given out to the needy and the researchers.

I always tick everything. I believe that what ever part of my makeup is "me" has every right to have every chance of travelling once the gestalt is gone. This is why I intend to be cremated. I don't want to have to wait for the worms to split me up and disperse me.

But anyway, back to this organ donor concept. You can, if you prefer, select which parts can be donated and which can not. So, you may only want your liver or kidneys to be lent out. But what if you only want to keep your brain. Most of the rest of the body is useful to other people: bone marrow, kidneys, heart, liver and maybe even the skin for grafts (?). That's not to say the brain can't be used, but say you feel strongly about having your head kept intact. What happens to your corpse, in the case you are buried or have a viewing before cremation? Do they put the head on a mannequin? Do they make sure they keep enough of the structure around that they can fill it with sawdust?

What if I ticked nothing but "Bone", which is one of the options and presumably means bone marrow? Do they suck out all the bone marrow, bung it in a coffin and then invite the loved ones for a viewing?

"Here lies Chas Rover’s bone marrow. It rests in peace. The rest of him has given others a new hope in life, also, hopefully, in peace"

No comments: