Friday, October 15, 2004

Not to toot my own horn

Thought of this, a music vending machine, 5 or 6 years ago. I even looked into how much it would cost to make a prototype, but like so many of the ideas I have had I couldn't afford (and couldn't be bothered) to take it to the next step. I even suggested at the time that coffee shops were the place for such a thing. I was 16 when I first wanted to open an internet cafe (that was 11 years ago, there would have been 1 in all of Sydney at the time, if that: I had never seen or heard of one). I put to some powers that be at Sydney Uni that student cards should have trackable chips in them to help security safeguard the university (a bit fascist, I know, but I had good strategies to stop the abuse of such a system). RFID is taking off, and is able to do very similar stuff, but without the abuse stopping strategies.

Zoocity was originally going to be an online short film repository, 3 years before the likes of ifilm.com showed up.

I guess the good news is that I should trust my ability to pick what's a good idea and what isn't. The bad news is that I don't have the confidence or the motivation to act on anything. Besides, all these ideas I have had were not to make money, they were things that I wanted to use or see or go to. Now that they are finally appearing, I can use, look and go to them. The key to a good idea, I think, is to not look for the "angle", but look for what's missing in the world.

Update: Sometimes it pays to misspell the odd word. <cough>I meant to do that.</>

No comments: