Thursday, September 09, 2004

Terrorists hand Australia back to Coalition

Maybe I'm being cynical, but the breaking news that the Australian Embassy in Jakarta may have been the target of a bomb blast is just the sensational news that Little Johnny has been waiting for. He will now trade the emotions of fear and loss for votes, regardless of the specifics of the attack. He will argue that to vote for the opposition would be a sign to the terrorists that their methods work. Latham won't have the balls to argue that the Australian Embassy was not protected by the current Australian government. Actually, I hope he doesn't, as that is just as cynical. The cynic in me wonders whether the Libs will see this attack as proof of their "strong credentials in keeping Australia safe from the terrorists".

I hope not too many were hurt or killed. One report already mentions that Australians may have been lucky as the embassy is built to withstand bombs like this one. I hope not too many PEOPLE have been hurt, Australians included.

I also hope that both political parties simply acknowledge this as a tragedy and don't make it a focus of the election campaign. Ha! Not likely.

No comments: